Custom Audiences for Facebook Ads
You’re good at something if you can tell other people your accomplishments. You’re great when other people tell other people how great you are.
We all have our super fans or the people who repeatedly buy from us but what if you could run specials to just those people and find more people just like them on Facebook? Facebook actually makes this pretty easy with the Custom Audience and Look-A-Like audience features. These features allow you to find people that share interests and behaviors with people who engage a certain way with your brand.
The reason this is important is that these audiences often perform better than interest based audiences in terms of return on ad spend.
If you are wondering what a Custom Audience is, see below:
𝟏) 𝐖𝐞𝐛𝐬𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐓𝐫𝐚𝐟𝐟𝐢𝐜: This uses data captured by your FB pixel so you can reach people who too kcertain on site action like adding to cart.
2) Customer File: This comes from Audience data you provide, like an excel spreadsheet of your Amazon orders.
3) Video: This creates an audience from people who watched one of your videos on FB or Instagram, either on your pages or in an ad
As example, you can send an ad to people who viewed 95% or more of your video. This means your ads are only being sent to people who viewed 95% or more of your video and have an initial interest in your product/service. The benefit to you is that you are only paying to reach people who have expressed interest.
As another example, I have an automated process that when I get an order in Amazon seller central, the buyers info is placed onto a consistently updated spreadsheet that I can upload to facebook to generate a custom audience from. Facebook will use the info you have and do its best to match that info to users in its database.
4) Instagram business, FB page, and Events: These audiences are populated from people who are from those respective sources.
– go to business.facebook.com and hit the 3 bars at the top left of the screen.
– click the All Tools tab
– click the Audiences tab
– click the blue Custom Audiences button
Custom Audiences is a great tool but Facebook notches it up another level with an even better tool, 𝐋𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐀𝐮𝐝𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬!
A Lookalike Audience (LLA) allows you to take your Custom Audience and use it as a source to build another audience like your source audience based on the hundreds of data points Facebook has.
As example, I can take a CA of 1000 people who viewed 95% of my Facebook video and make a much bigger audience who share behavior patterns and interest with those 1000 people.
As a couple small examples of strategy pertaining to amazon sellers, here are some ideas on how to implement the info above:
1) The Kool -Aid Technique. This is what is referred to as a sequential video funnel where by making Custom Audiences at each step of the process you only offer your product to the hottest of prospects.
2) I keep track of who purchases from me and upload the reports to FB so that Facebook can find those users for me. I then run a video campaign to them thanking them for their purchase and telling them about my company, our customer service, community, etc. It is also a great way to ask for a review or to tell people to contact you with issues BEFORE leaving NEGATIVE feedback. Bet you hadn’t even thought of that one.
I hope this article helps you understand Custom and Lookalike Audiences and you now have the knowledge to implement these into your campaigns. Good luck and let me know your feedback in the comments!